The Fort McClary State Historic Site is a historic site and public park in Kittery Point, Maine. It is a great proof and surviving remainder of what was once series of fortifications along the Piscataqua River.
Tracing its roots as far back as 1689, the Fort McClary State Historic Site has always been a fort, even if it wasn’t always used for military operations. Initially, it was created by the land owners for protection. By 1715, the Massachussetts Bay Colony moved to build a permanent fort to defend the Piscataqua River. The current structure at the site was built in 1808. It was named after Major Andew McClary, a New Hampshire native and American officer that was killed in the Battle of Bunker Hill in 1775. The fort was also used during the Civil War and the War of 1812.