Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum is considered a New York City and a national landmark. In 1836, the Pell family which is a descendant of Robert Bartow bought a part of an old manor surrounded by pasture land and lawns. They transformed it into a beautiful and fashionable Greek Revival mansion. Inside, it has a gorgeous spiral staircase that connects the different parlors to the several rooms above.
The Bartows children sold the mansion to the City of New York 50 years after and it was included in the Pelham Bay Park. Decades after, International Garden Club turned the estate to a clubhouse. The club built an elegant terrace gardens in 1916, restoring and enlarging the estate.
To date, the Bartow Mansion has been restored to its appearance in the 19th century. The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum features many exhibits which include The Boltons of Pelham Priory which features histories and memorabilia from the nineteenth century. It includes contemporaneous documents, artwork, rare books, and period furniture. The Museum also exhibits Contemporary Dutch Designs and botanical paintings.